Today I drove for the first time since starting the ZipCar Low-Car Diet. I had some errands to run, so I took out Ashely, a cute little Scion xA… The car reminded me of my old Toyota Matrix, only slightly miniaturized.
At first I had some difficulty getting my card to scan so the car would open up and welcome me, but that may have been user error, as by the end of my 3 hours I was an old master at it.
It was nice to be driving again, but you know, as I sat behind various large SUVs at every other red light, I remembered why driving is not always the preferred way to get somewhere. The Metro can sometimes be a hassle timing-wise, but I feel much more productive being able to read or do homework while I am in transit, as opposed to sitting there wondering why the guy in front of me bought a Lamborghini when he’s going to spend most of his time idling in traffic.
Overall, it was a great experience. Like renting a car, without standing in line. I look forward to my next excuse to use the service.
DisclaimerAll views and opinions expressed on this website are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. State Department (they have their own website...).
- Douglas on Preparing for the Foreign Service Oral Assessment: Part II
- Anuradha Shastry (@runneranu) on The Foreign Service is Plan B
- Anuradha Shastry (@runneranu) on Studying for the FSOT (how I did it)
- kristel on My Statement of Interest for the Foreign Service
- Joel on FSOT Score Breakdown